Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What is a Food Craving? What can be done for them?

What is a Food Craving?

I am often asked this question. When I offer a description, most people can relate to it, because Food Cravings are so common. 

Here's a definition of Food Cravings from Wikipedia:


'A food craving is an intense desire to consume a particular food, as opposed to food in general. Food cravings are especially common in people following structured diet plans, and often interfere with the best of intentions to adhere to a particular style of eating.'

Commonly, along with that intense desire is an internal struggle that some people find very distracting. This can be felt mentally, physically, or both and  can exist regardless of whether or not the craving is satisfied. If the food is avoided, thoughts about the food can continue on for hours. If the craving is indulged, feelings of regret and guilt can ensue. Some of my patients have described this as a battle, and it's a battle they don't see winning.

What can be done for Food Cravings?

This is the question I don't get asked very often, as most people think that they just have to live with this. What if that battle could end and be replaced by a sense of peace and satisfaction? I've seen it happen many times, with a few simple steps. What if the cycle of craving could change quickly, and the treatment didn't require repeating? Giving up a Food Craving doesn't mean giving up a favorite food or the enjoyment of it, just the craving.

If you'd like more information on how I help my patients let go of their Food Cravings, please contact me, I would enjoy hearing from you!

kara@thefoodcravingsolution.com
www.thefoodcravingsolution.com

No comments: